Our Benguerra Island Vacation – An Unforgettable Experience
Our Benguerra Island vacation was one of the best experiences of my life, one that will be imprinted in my memory for years to come.
Travelling to Benguerra Islands
We had a one hour 15 minute flight on Air Link until we landed in Vilanculos. We were met by very helpful staff, who helped us with our luggage and took us to the helicopter from where we embarked on a fantastic ten minute flight to Benguerra Island. The staff at the islands were welcoming and friendly and made us feel right at home.
The Azura is situated on a beautiful, pristine beach that is surrounded by palm trees and bougainvillea. Our chalet was perfectly located with our own private pool and garden with the beach in walking distance.
Our bedroom was large and roomy with a mosquito net surrounding the bed. From our bedroom we had a picturesque view of our pool and the ocean.
Everything was well organized with our meals served in the comfort of our own chalet, on the beach, or on the terrace. The menu had limited choices, but the food was delicious and you had the option of fresh seafood every day. Everything from the preparation to execution and presentation was faultless. All our drinks were included, which was a bonus.
Swimming in the ocean was most ideal during high tide, otherwise you have to wade out quite far. The sea was safe and clean with an array of beautiful shells on the beach.
More about the Island
Benguerra Islands is an exquisite destination, away from the hustle and bustle of city life with warm waters, pristine white beaches, colorful coral reefs that are boasting with amazing marine life. On top of that you have inland freshwater lakes and majestic sand dunes that makes this destination one of a kind.
Exciting Activities to Enjoy While Visiting the Island
- Romantic Picnic – You and your partner can disappear for the afternoon and be transported via catamaran to your preferred spot on the Northern or Southern areas on the island and enjoy each other’s company and a scrumptious meal on the beach.
- Sunset Dhow Cruise – You can embark on a sunset cruise in a traditional vessel used by the locals to experience some of the island life and give you a unique view into the everyday life of the island fishermen.
- Scuba Diving – Benguerra Islands is a scuba diving haven, perfectly located within protected marine conservation area and bordered by the best diving sites. The island has a fully equipped dive centre that provides diving adventures that appeals to everyone.
- Horseback Riding – This is one of the most enjoyable activities for riders of every level. Putting your swimsuit on and riding on bareback into the warm waters is something that you should try at least once.
Some Interesting Facts About Azura at Gabriels
- The Azura was the first luxury eco-friendly island retreat developed by Christopher and Stella Bettany.
- The hotel opened its doors in September 2007.
- The Azura was built from scratch by the local community, complete with thatched jekka roofing and local wooden beams.
Our Benguerra island vacation was a relaxing and quiet holiday experience, and everything we wanted it to be. This destination is ideal for honeymooners, or those who prefer a peaceful and secluded holiday to unwind and enjoy each other’s company, away from the stressors of everyday life. I also recommend making use of the Spa facilities which were well appointed with excellent customer service and professional staff.
This holiday exceeded our expectations and gave us a truly unique experience. It was like visiting our own peace of paradise where you can experience nature amongst the indigenous bushes and trees and shower underneath the stars.